1968 Triumph TR5 restoposted on 28 May 2010 | posted in 1968 Triumuph TR5 resto | ( 1 ) Comments
This is the latest project, we have deffinately got our work cut out on this bare metal resto.
it needs :
Steam cleaning under arches
Welding finishing off
All seams cleaned and resealed inside and out
All repairs taking care of which is quite a few :-)
Bonda primer behind quaters wings and wheel arches
stone chipping behind quaters and wings and wheel arches
Priming on the outside
Painting inside wings and quaters
(All on site)
All steam cleaned off with tfr
Baked to dry at 70degrees
Doors bare metalled
Quite a few low spots but absolutely solid and rust free
Bonnet badge holes ready to be plug welded and relocated
Under seal scraped and cleaned off the inner quaters
Now ready for blasting
As it stands Now
This is what we find when we start to strip the paint
This is what we found when we started to remove the top coat Rust eating through the primer
And the same under the bonnet, the more we stripped the more rust we found until we were forced to bare metal it underneath too.
Door Shuts stripped
Bare Metalled and treated
Some of the parts are suffering from corrosion underneath the primer this was what was left after bare metalling and wire wheeling. Both sides of the boot lid were like this and the top side was slightly worse.
Here is a pic of after i used a process called phosphating using a special phosphoric acid which kills rust that a machine cant get to
After phosphating underneath of the boot lid and treating with dinatrol rc900 on the bottom edege
Structre housing in place and sikka flex sealed to stop any futher rusting.
it just needs a few tack welds on the skin edge
This dent was one of a few on this lower panel from a previous repair so i ripped out the old filler got as much of the dent out as possible so only a thin skimming of filler is required
Here i used a 400mm sanding plane to block the doors to remove all the dents and ripples !
Bonnet smoothed out
A Whole lot of shaping going on here!
Ready for some Wash Etch and 2k primer
Lead Loading To get the right panel gaps and shape
Filed To shape
A Few Bits starting to get coated
Recently we have been doing the bottom of the wings to get the right panel gaps and any dents along the way. Some more parts primered, Another rust hole sorted on the door post and we are now getting ready for smoothing the tops of the rear wings where the patches have been welded in.
Rear Wings now fit up to the back panel.
Here i have been shaping the tops of the rear wings to match up to the top panels
Masked Up Baked to dry out the moisture, primered and baked again to egg shell hard!
All the skin edges seam sealed
Ruberised Anti Stone chipped
Started to get some more bits coated over the weekend
Panels anti stonechipped Behind and painted
Ripple free panels !!
Panels baked now awaiting a bit of machine polishing
Super streight boot lid after lots of attention
Trial fitting wings to see how it will look
Trim beading in etch primer before top coat
Panels placed on for its journey home!!
Comments ( 1 ) - Add Your Comment